The Sonos Move 2, the latest offering in the wireless speaker world, promises an audio experience that goes beyond the ordinary. Building on the legacy of its predecessor, the Sonos Move, this sequel showcases a host of improvements, making it an appealing choice for indoor and outdoor use. In this review, we’ll delve into the design, features, and performance of the Sonos Move 2, exploring its potential to elevate your music listening and home audio experience.
Sonos has long been associated with premium audio quality and seamless integration within the smart home ecosystem. The Sonos Move 2 maintains this reputation, offering an updated acoustic architecture and the flexibility of simultaneous Bluetooth and WiFi connections, making it a versatile addition to any audio setup. With enhancements like automatic Trueplay tuning and extended battery life, it aims to set a high standard for wireless speakers while also introducing the convenience of portable, high-fidelity sound. In this review, we’ll evaluate whether the Sonos Move 2 lives up to the Sonos legacy and whether it’s worth the investment for audiophiles and tech enthusiasts.
|Virtual Assistant||Works with Alexa|
|Mobile App Compatible||Yes: iOS Only|
*As of August, 2023: Check with manufacturer for the most up-to-date compatibility
|CPU||Up to 1.4 GHz A55 Quad-Core|
|Storage Capacity||8 GB|
|Amplifiers||3 x Class-D|
|Drivers||2 x Tweeters|
1 x Mid-Woofer
|USB||1 x USB-C (Power, Audio)|
|Wi-Fi||Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax); Dual-Band (2.4 & 5 GHz)|
|Wireless Audio Protocols||AirPlay 2|
|Battery Capacity||44 Wh|
|Estimated Battery Life||24 Hours|
|Environmental Protection||Advertised as Dust Resistant/Water Resistant|
*Test Methodology Not Supplied IP56
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||6.3 x 9.5 x 5″ / 16 x 24.1 x 12.7 cm|
|Weight||6.77 lb / 3.07 kg|
Design and Build Quality
The Sonos Move 2 showcases a design that’s both sleek and functional. While it closely resembles its predecessor, the original Sonos Move, this familiarity is a testament to the timeless aesthetics that Sonos has consistently offered. The Move 2 retains the same understated yet elegant design, further accentuated by introducing an attractive olive green option alongside classic black and white choices. The olive green variant, in particular, adds a touch of sophistication and a unique visual appeal.
In terms of build quality, the Sonos Move 2 doesn’t disappoint. It radiates sturdiness and durability, essential for a portable speaker designed for indoor and outdoor use. The speaker features an IP56 rating, making it resistant to water splashes, rain, dust, and even exposure to sunlight. This robust build ensures that the Move 2 can withstand the rigors of outdoor use, from picnics to beach outings, without compromising performance.
A notable feature of the Sonos Move 2 is its user-replaceable battery, reflecting Sonos’ commitment to sustainability. This extends the speaker’s lifespan and reduces electronic waste, a responsible choice in our ever-connected world.
Moreover, the speaker is designed with user convenience in mind. It incorporates a convenient handle, a thoughtful addition given the speaker’s weight of 3 kilograms. This handle ensures you can easily transport the speaker without fuss, making it portable and adaptable to various environments.
The Sonos Move 2’s design and build quality aligns perfectly with the Sonos brand’s reputation for high-quality, visually appealing products that are engineered to last. It’s clear that Sonos has paid meticulous attention to every detail, resulting in a speaker that’s not just a sonic powerhouse but also a stylish addition to any room or outdoor setting.
Connections and Connectivity
The Sonos Move 2 sets high standards for connections and connectivity options, ensuring seamless integration into your audio setup, whether at home or on the go.
One of the standout features of the Move 2 is its ability to simultaneously connect via both Bluetooth and WiFi. This dual connectivity provides versatility and flexibility in streaming and playing music. With this capability, you can stream music via Bluetooth to two WiFi-connected Move 2 speakers, creating a larger and more immersive sound field. It’s ideal for creating a stereo-like experience when paired with a second Move 2, especially in a larger outdoor space or a room in your home. Moreover, this speaker easily integrates with other Sonos speakers in your household, allowing you to create a unified and synchronized audio experience throughout your living space.
For those who appreciate the Sonos ecosystem, the Move 2 offers seamless compatibility. The Sonos app is known for its user-friendly interface and efficient setup process, and it’s the gateway to configuring your audio system to meet your specific preferences. Through the app, you can conveniently add the Move 2 to a specific room or combine it with other Sonos speakers, easily creating a multi-room audio setup. This interoperability with other Sonos devices enhances the Move 2’s potential for whole-home audio distribution.
The Move 2 ensures it’s not restricted to a particular streaming source. You can link up with almost any audio source thanks to AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, and Bluetooth connectivity. This inclusivity makes sharing your music from various devices easy, regardless of the platform or service you prefer. Whether streaming from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop, the Move 2 accommodates a wide range of music sources, providing flexibility that’s especially important in today’s diverse streaming landscape.
In summary, the Sonos Move 2 leverages a robust set of connections and connectivity options, enabling you to integrate it into your audio ecosystem seamlessly. With the ability to link with both Bluetooth and WiFi and compatibility with the Sonos app and other Sonos devices, it offers a level of flexibility and convenience that caters to different user preferences and requirements. Its adaptability to various streaming sources makes it an accommodating choice for those who seek a comprehensive and accessible audio solution.
Upgrades and Improvements Over the Previous Version
The Sonos Move 2 presents a notable leap forward compared to its predecessor, the original Sonos Move. These upgrades and improvements span several crucial aspects of the speaker’s performance and functionality, enhancing the overall user experience.
- Enhanced Acoustic Architecture: The Move 2 features a new acoustic architecture with three D-class amplifiers, a configuration that significantly enhances audio quality. These amplifiers work in harmony to deliver a more dynamic and powerful sound, creating an audio experience that’s richer, clearer, and more detailed. Adding double tweeters for a wider stereo sound and a mid-woofer for deep bass further augments the Move 2’s audio capabilities, resulting in a broader and more immersive sonic landscape.
- Simultaneous Bluetooth and WiFi Connectivity: A groundbreaking improvement in the Move 2 is its ability to connect via Bluetooth and WiFi simultaneously. This dual connectivity feature opens up new possibilities for music streaming and playback. Users can seamlessly stream music via Bluetooth to two WiFi-connected Move 2 speakers, significantly expanding the sound field. This feature is perfect for creating a stereo-like experience using two Move 2 speakers, making it ideal for larger spaces or outdoor gatherings.
- Extended Battery Life: One of the standout improvements is the Move 2’s impressive battery life. It boasts a substantial 24 hours of usage on a full charge, double the battery life of its predecessor. This extended battery life ensures you can enjoy an entire day’s worth of music without constant recharging. It’s a vital enhancement, particularly for those who intend to use the speaker outdoors, as it provides uninterrupted entertainment for extended periods.
- User-Replaceable Battery: The user-replaceable battery feature demonstrates A commitment to sustainability. This addition is not only eco-friendly but also extends the overall lifespan of the Move 2. Enabling users to replace the battery minimizes electronic waste and promotes responsible consumption.
- Improved Trueplay Tuning: The Move 2 incorporates automatic Trueplay tuning, an innovative feature to optimize audio quality based on the environment. This advanced technology uses far-field microphones and beamforming to adjust the sound according to the room’s acoustics or space. With Trueplay activated, the Move 2 delivers a more immersive audio experience, considering factors like wall placement or room configuration, ultimately creating a wider sweet spot.
- Voice Control Options: The Move 2 offers voice control options, including Sonos Voice Control and Amazon Alexa. While Google Assistant is no longer available, users can control the speaker and their Sonos system through voice commands. It’s a notable addition for those who appreciate hands-free control of their audio experience.
The Sonos Move 2 builds upon its predecessor’s success with numerous notable upgrades and improvements. From a more robust acoustic architecture to extended battery life and enhanced Trueplay tuning, these enhancements enhance the Move 2’s audio capabilities and user experience. Moreover, the simultaneous Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity option and the user-replaceable battery highlight Sonos’ commitment to versatility and sustainability. These improvements collectively make the Move 2 a compelling choice for those seeking a premium, high-performance wireless speaker.
App and Installation
Installation and App Functionality
The Sonos Move 2 continues Sonos’ tradition of offering user-friendly installation and a comprehensive app that simplifies the setup process and enhances the speaker’s functionality.
Installation: Installing the Sonos Move 2 is a straightforward and hassle-free process, maintaining the user-friendly approach for which Sonos has been known. When you power on the speaker, it is automatically detected by the Sonos app within seconds. This streamlined setup process ensures minimal effort on the user’s part. Following detection, the speaker plays an audio tone, signifying its successful addition to your Sonos ecosystem. This seamless installation makes it accessible even to those with minimal technical expertise. It’s a plug-and-play experience that allows users to start enjoying the speaker’s features in no time.
App Functionality: The Sonos app is an integral component of the Sonos ecosystem, and the Move 2 seamlessly integrates into this platform. The app is renowned for its user-friendliness, efficient navigation, and intuitive layout, making it easy for users to customize and manage their audio system. The app provides a range of functions and features that enhance the versatility and adaptability of the Sonos Move 2:
- Room Assignment: Through the app, you can assign the Sonos Move 2 to a specific room in your home. This allows for organized and customized audio distribution throughout your living space.
- Multi-Room Audio: The app enables users to create a multi-room audio setup by combining the Sonos Move 2 with other Sonos speakers in their household. This means you can enjoy synchronized audio playback across different rooms, creating a seamless and immersive audio experience.
- Direct Music Playback: The app supports direct music playback, allowing users to choose and play music directly from the app itself. This feature is handy for quick and easy access to your favorite tunes.
- Compatibility with Various Streaming Services: The Sonos app allows for integration with multiple streaming services, including Sonos Radio and Spotify. This means that you can seamlessly access your preferred music sources through the app, streamlining the process of finding and playing your favorite songs.
- Optimizing Battery Life: The app includes options to enable power-saving settings to extend the speaker’s battery life. This is particularly valuable for those who require longer audio playback periods without recharging the Move 2.
- Adjusting Equalizer Settings: Users can fine-tune the audio output of the Sonos Move 2 by accessing the built-in equalizer within the app. This level of customization ensures that you can tailor the sound to match your specific preferences and the acoustic characteristics of the environment.
- Sonos Voice Control: The Sonos app facilitates voice control through Sonos Voice Control and Amazon Alexa. Users can conveniently operate the speaker and their entire Sonos system through voice commands, enhancing the hands-free and intuitive control of audio playback.
In conclusion, the Sonos Move 2 offers seamless installation and leverages the Sonos app’s capabilities to enhance the user experience. The app streamlines the setup process, provides a wide array of customization options, and ensures users can effortlessly control and optimize their audio system. This user-friendly installation and feature-rich app combination makes the Sonos Move 2 a versatile and adaptable addition to any audio setup.
Usability of the Sonos Move 2
The usability of the Sonos Move 2 is a fundamental aspect of its design, making it accessible to a wide range of users, from tech enthusiasts to those who simply want a premium audio experience with minimal hassle. Here’s an in-depth look at the key usability aspects of the Sonos Move 2:
- Portability and Outdoor Use: The Move 2 is designed with portability in mind. It features a convenient handle, making it easy to carry despite its 3-kilogram weight. This design element is especially important for those who intend to use the speaker outdoors. Whether hosting a garden party, camping, or simply enjoying time on your patio, the Move 2 is a reliable and portable audio companion.
- User-Friendly Installation: Setting up the Move 2 is exceptionally user-friendly. You merely power on the speaker, and it is automatically detected by the Sonos app, taking just seconds to complete the setup. This straightforward installation process ensures that users can start enjoying their music without technical hurdles.
- Seamless Integration with Sonos Ecosystem: The Move 2 integrates into the ecosystem. The Sonos app, a central hub for Sonos products, enhances the usability of the Move 2 by providing a unified platform for managing multiple Sonos devices. This integration allows for a consistent and streamlined user experience.
- Customization and Personalization: Users can customize and personalize their audio experience through the Sonos app. They can assign the speaker to specific rooms, adjust equalizer settings to fine-tune the audio output, and create a multi-room audio setup by combining the Move 2 with other Sonos speakers in their home. These customization options cater to individual preferences and varying room acoustics.
- Multi-Source Compatibility: The Move 2 is designed to accommodate a wide array of audio sources. It’s compatible with multiple streaming services, including Sonos Radio and Spotify, and offers the flexibility of direct music playback from the app. This compatibility ensures that users can effortlessly access their preferred music, regardless of the source or platform.
- Extended Battery Life: The extended battery life of up to 24 hours enhances the usability of the Move 2, particularly for outdoor use. Users can enjoy an entire day of music without needing to frequently recharge the speaker, making it an ideal choice for extended outdoor activities.
- Voice Control Options: Including voice control through Sonos Voice Control and Amazon Alexa adds to the usability of the Move 2. Users can operate the speaker and their Sonos system through voice commands, providing a hands-free and convenient control method.
- High Build Quality and Durability: The robust build quality and an IP56 rating of the Move 2 contribute to its usability, especially for outdoor use. Its resistance to water splashes, rain, dust, and sunlight ensures that it can withstand a variety of environmental conditions.
In summary, the Sonos Move 2 excels in terms of usability by catering to various user needs and preferences. Its design, features, and compatibility make it accessible to a broad audience, and its durability ensures it can withstand various usage scenarios. Whether you’re a tech-savvy audiophile or someone looking for a premium audio solution with ease of use, the Sonos Move 2 delivers a user-friendly experience that combines portability, customization, and convenience.
Sound Quality and Sound Test of the Sonos Move 2
The Sonos Move 2’s sound quality is a testament to the meticulous engineering that Sonos is renowned for, and it shines in various audio aspects:
Dynamic and Balanced Audio: The introduction of a new acoustic architecture with three D-class amplifiers, double tweeters for wider stereo sound, and a mid-woofer for deep bass results in a compelling audio experience. The Move 2 delivers dynamic and balanced audio, where every element of the sound spectrum finds its place. Highs are clear, mids are warm and expressive, and lows are rich and substantial. This combination ensures that the speaker accommodates a diverse range of music genres and audio content, making it suitable for anything from energetic pop tunes to immersive movie soundtracks.
Spatial Sound: While it’s important to note that true spatial sound from a single compact speaker is a challenging feat, the Move 2 does an admirable job of creating a more expansive audio experience. Even though it’s not a true stereo or spatial speaker, it convincingly fills a room with sound, making it a wonderful choice for both indoor and outdoor listening. The automatic Trueplay feature plays a significant role here, as it optimizes the audio to account for the room’s acoustics. This ensures that any influences, such as walls or furnishings, are considered in the sound projection. With Trueplay activated, the sound extends further, creating a broader sweet spot and improving the overall listening experience.
Detail and Clarity at Higher Volumes: The Move 2 maintains its audio quality even at higher volumes, an essential feature for a portable speaker. It continues to deliver detailed and clear audio, which is especially important for outdoor gatherings or when you want to enjoy music at a higher intensity. The speaker doesn’t lose its composure at elevated volumes, and it provides a rich, immersive sound even when pushed to its limits.
Customizable Equalizer: The Move 2 offers users the option to customize the audio reproduction through the Sonos app’s equalizer. This level of control allows you to fine-tune the sound profile to your personal preferences or the specific requirements of the environment. It’s an invaluable feature for those who appreciate audio tailoring and wish to achieve an audio output that aligns with their unique tastes.
To put the sound quality to the test, the Move 2 effortlessly adapts to various music genres and scenarios. Whether you’re listening to soft acoustic melodies, energetic rock tracks, or dialogue-rich podcasts, the speaker excels in conveying the nuances of the content. It maintains a balanced sound profile, avoiding distortion or harshness at both lower and higher volume levels.
In conclusion, the Sonos Move 2 impresses with its sound quality, offering a dynamic, balanced, and detailed audio experience that adapts well to various listening scenarios. Its spatial sound capabilities, in conjunction with Trueplay, create a broader listening area, while its clarity at higher volumes ensures reliable performance in various settings. Combined with the ability to customize the sound profile, the Move 2 is a versatile and high-quality audio solution for those seeking premium sound in a portable format.
Battery Performance of the Sonos Move 2
The battery performance of the Sonos Move 2 is undoubtedly one of its standout features. With an extended battery life of up to 24 hours on a full charge, it sets a new standard for wireless speakers. This substantial increase in battery duration, compared to its predecessor, allows users to enjoy a full day of music without the need for frequent recharging. Whether you’re hosting an all-day outdoor gathering, embarking on a day trip, or simply relaxing in your backyard, the Move 2’s impressive battery life ensures uninterrupted entertainment.
Moreover, the Move 2’s ability to operate continuously for extended periods makes it an excellent choice for users who value portability and flexibility. It eliminates concerns about running out of power prematurely, offering a reliable audio companion that doesn’t require constant attention to battery levels. This enhanced battery performance adds a layer of convenience and peace of mind, ensuring that the Move 2 can keep up with various usage scenarios, making it a practical and versatile choice for users who require a speaker that goes the distance.
The Move 2’s battery performance, combined with its user-replaceable battery, aligns with Sonos’ commitment to sustainability. By allowing users to replace the battery themselves, the speaker minimizes electronic waste and promotes responsible consumption. This sustainable approach not only benefits the environment but also adds to the long-term value of the speaker. Overall, the impressive battery life and thoughtful design elements of the Sonos Move 2 make it a reliable and eco-conscious audio solution for users seeking extended hours of playback in a wireless and portable format.
In summary, the Sonos Move 2 proves to be an impressive addition to the Sonos ecosystem. It excels in design, ease of use, battery life, audio quality, and Trueplay integration. The only notable drawback is the absence of Google Assistant, limiting voice control options for Dutch and Flemish users with smart homes. If you have the budget and seek a premium, portable speaker that seamlessly integrates with your existing Sonos setup, the Move 2 comes highly recommended. Its elegant design, enhanced features, and remarkable audio quality make it a worthy investment for those looking for a top-tier wireless speaker.
Why You Should Buy the Sonos Move 2:
- Premium Sound Quality: The Move 2 excels in delivering high-quality audio with a balanced sound profile. Its impressive acoustic architecture and advanced features provide rich, detailed, and dynamic sound, making it a compelling choice for audiophiles.
- Extended Battery Life: With up to 24 hours of battery life, the Move 2 ensures uninterrupted music enjoyment for an entire day, making it ideal for outdoor events, trips, or extended listening sessions.
- Dual Connectivity: Simultaneous Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity allows you to stream music from a variety of sources while connecting multiple Move 2 speakers for an immersive sound experience, enhancing versatility and adaptability.
- Durability and Portability: The speaker’s robust build quality, user-replaceable battery, and IP56 rating make it suitable for outdoor use and ensure long-term sustainability. The integrated handle enhances its portability.
- Automatic Trueplay Tuning: The Move 2’s Trueplay feature optimizes sound based on room acoustics, creating a broader listening area and improving audio quality.
- Seamless Integration with Sonos Ecosystem: The Move 2 seamlessly integrates into the Sonos ecosystem, allowing you to connect it with other Sonos devices, creating a multi-room audio setup and enhancing your home audio system.
Why You May Not Want to Buy the Sonos Move 2:
- High Price Point: The Move 2 comes with a premium price tag, which may be a deterrent for budget-conscious buyers. If you’re seeking a more affordable option, there are alternatives available.
- Limited Voice Assistant Options: The Move 2 only supports Amazon Alexa and Sonos Voice Control, potentially limiting your voice control options, especially if you prefer Google Assistant.
- Lack of Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio Support: While the Move 2 delivers excellent audio quality, it doesn’t support advanced audio technologies like Dolby Atmos or other spatial audio formats. If you’re looking for a speaker with these features, you may need to explore other options.
- Single Speaker Limitation: While the Move 2 creates a wide sound field, it’s still a single speaker and may not match the true stereo or spatial audio experience offered by dedicated multi-speaker setups. If you prioritize authentic spatial sound, you might consider alternative solutions.
In summary, the Sonos Move 2 is an excellent choice for those seeking premium sound quality, extended battery life, and the convenience of portability. It’s a great fit for users who value seamless integration within the Sonos ecosystem and require a durable, outdoor-friendly speaker. However, its premium price and limited voice assistant options may not align with everyone’s preferences or budget constraints. Additionally, if you need advanced spatial audio features or require a multi-speaker setup, you may want to explore other options that better suit your requirements.