The Marantz CD6007 CD player has earned a stellar reputation in the audio scene for its affordable price, musical prowess, and impressive features. This review will explore whether it lives up to its reputation and why it’s a remarkable choice for music enthusiasts.
Musical Excellence: Despite its price point, the Marantz CD6007 delivers a sound that can rival larger and more expensive players. It doesn’t just excel with CDs; it also transforms lossless and high-resolution audio files from USB sources into rich and colorful soundscapes. This versatility is a significant advantage for those who appreciate high-quality audio.
Marantz Legacy: Marantz’s legacy in audio technology, dating back to the 90s, is evident in the CD6007. The company has consistently produced reliable digital players and contributed to crucial technological advancements. With models like the CD6007, Marantz continues to win favor with audiophiles by offering high-quality audio at an affordable price.
|optical drive||CD, CDR, CDRW|
|Audio outputs||1x RCA analog, 1x RCA digital, 1x TOSlink digital|
|Integrated streaming services||–|
|Housing versions||black silver|
|included supply||remote control|
Why buy Marantz CD6007:
- Musical and Harmonious Sound: The Marantz CD6007 impresses with its rich and dynamic sound, focusing on fundamental musical elements like rhythm and melody rather than overly analytical high-frequency details.
- High-Res Audio Support: This CD player doesn’t limit itself to CDs; it can handle high-resolution audio files from USB sources, including formats like Apple Lossless, FLAC, WAV, and even DSD, providing a listening experience that surpasses CD quality.
- Quality Headphone Output: The CD6007 has a headphone output that delivers excellent sound quality, making it a versatile choice for speaker and headphone enthusiasts.
Why do not buy Marantz CD6007:
- Lack of Streaming: One notable drawback is the absence of streaming capabilities, which may disappoint users looking for a more comprehensive audio solution.
Build Quality and Design of the Marantz CD6007 CD Player:
- Construction Excellence: The Marantz CD6007 boasts a well-constructed chassis that reflects attention to detail. The robust build quality contributes to its weight, indicating durability and solidity. This sturdiness helps reduce external vibrations that can negatively impact audio playback quality.
- Internals: A closer look inside the CD6007 reveals a sophisticated internal layout. Marantz has invested significant engineering effort in its construction. The large power supply is key, ensuring all components receive clean, filtered, and stabilized voltages. This meticulous power supply design maintains the audio signal’s integrity.
- Drive Mechanism: The CD drive mechanism, developed by Marantz’s parent company, D&M, is positioned at the player’s center. It is known for its low operating noise and robust error correction capabilities, ensuring accurate data retrieval from CDs.
- Synchronization: Synchronization between the drive and the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) is vital to CD6007’s design. The music data is sent to the DAC precisely, guaranteeing that the audio is faithfully reproduced as intended by the artist.
- DAC Technology: The CD6007 features a high-quality AKM AK4490EQ DAC with 32-bit resolution. This DAC is renowned for its performance and is considered one of the best in its class. It also includes an integrated digital filter, enhancing the player’s ability to deliver exceptional sound quality.
- Analog Output Stage: Marantz maintains its tradition of using Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) in the analog output stage. This design, featuring dozens of individual transistors instead of relying solely on amplifier chips, contributes to the player’s elegant internal layout. It’s a testament to Marantz’s commitment to audio excellence.
- External Connectivity: The CD6007 offers various connection options, including gold-plated RCA outputs for analog audio signals. It also provides optical and coaxial digital outputs for those who prefer an external DAC. Including a USB interface on the front panel allows users to play music from USB drives conveniently. This interface supports audio formats, from data-compressed MP3 to high-resolution formats like FLAC and DSD.
- Headphone Output: Positioned conveniently on the front panel, the headphone output delivers excellent sound quality, adding versatility to the player. However, some users may find the volume control knob slightly small and fiddly.
- Aesthetic Design: Marantz has maintained a consistent aesthetic across its product lineup, with a minimalist and timeless design. The CD6007, while focused primarily on audio performance, also presents an attractive and unassuming appearance that will complement various home audio setups.
In conclusion, the Marantz CD6007 combines a robust build quality with an elegant and thoughtful internal design. Marantz has prioritized audio performance and craftsmanship in constructing this CD player, making it a standout choice for audiophiles who appreciate sonic excellence and meticulous engineering.
Listening to the Marantz CD6007 reveals its likable and inviting character. It emphasizes musicality, offering rich tones and dynamic performance without becoming overly analytical. It excels with various genres, from punky-pop to classical, making the listening experience enjoyable and engaging. While more expensive players might provide slightly broader sound and better treble resolution, the CD6007 offers a complete, well-rounded performance that never leaves you longing for more.
- Musicality and Warmth: The Marantz CD6007 is known for its musical and warm sound signature. It has a knack for emphasizing the emotional essence of music, focusing on elements like rhythm and melody rather than pursuing an overly analytical, clinical sound. This characteristic makes it appealing to listeners who prioritize the enjoyment of music over technical precision.
- Rich Tones: When listening to the CD6007, you’ll immediately notice its ability to reproduce rich, full-bodied tones. This contributes to depth and engagement in the music, allowing instruments and vocals to shine with authenticity.
- Dynamic Range: The player delivers a commendable dynamic range, meaning it can handle both soft and loud passages in music effectively. This ensures that quiet nuances and explosive crescendos are reproduced faithfully, adding to the overall musicality.
- Pace and Timing: The CD6007 exhibits impressive timing and pacing. It keeps the music flowing naturally, allowing listeners to tap their feet to the beat and feel the rhythmic groove of the tracks. This quality is particularly appreciated when playing music with intricate rhythm sections.
- Spatial Imaging: While it may not offer the absolute pinnacle of spatial imaging, the CD6007 does provide a stable and convincing soundstage presentation. This means that instruments and vocals are well-placed within the stereo field, offering a sense of dimension and realism to the listening experience.
During a sound test of the Marantz CD6007, several aspects of its performance became evident:
- Music Genre Versatility: The player demonstrates its versatility by performing well across various music genres. Whether it’s the upbeat punky-pop melodies of a track like “Bipolar Princess” by Two Bears North or the intricate nuances of classical composition, the CD6007 handles each genre with ease and enthusiasm.
- Comparative Listening: Compared to more expensive CD players, the CD6007 holds its ground admirably. While higher-end players might offer a slightly broader soundstage and finer treble resolution, the CD6007 maintains its character of enjoyable and engaging music playback. It ensures that listeners thoroughly enjoy their music without feeling like they’re missing out on theoretical performance gains.
- Deep Musical Insights: For those willing to invest in higher-end audio systems, the CD6007 can provide deeper insights into their CD collections. However, what sets this player apart is that it doesn’t leave listeners constantly yearning for more. It offers a complete and satisfying musical experience, making it an excellent choice compared to more affordable players.
The Marantz CD6007 impresses with its musical, warm, and engaging sound quality. It excels in reproducing rich tones, maintaining a wide dynamic range, delivering precise timing, and providing a convincing soundstage. Whether listening to pop, classical, or any other genre, this CD player offers a genuinely enjoyable and immersive musical experience. While higher-end options may be available, the CD6007 stands as a complete and well-rounded performer that leaves listeners content with their musical journey.
Inside the CD6007, meticulous engineering is evident. A substantial power supply ensures clean and stable voltage delivery to all components. The drive, developed by Marantz’s parent company, D&M, minimizes operating noise and boasts powerful error correction. Synchronization between the drive and the AKM AK4490EQ digital-to-analog converter guarantees precise music data delivery. Using Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) in the analog output stage adds elegance and sophistication to the player’s internal design.
Technical Excellence of the Marantz CD6007 CD Player:
- Precision Engineering: The technical excellence of the Marantz CD6007 is immediately apparent upon examination of its internal components. Marantz has spared no effort crafting a player that functions with precision and finesse. A standout feature is the substantial power supply, meticulously designed to deliver clean, filtered, and stabilized voltages to all critical areas of the player. This careful power management is essential for maintaining the audio signal’s integrity, ensuring that the music is reproduced faithfully.
- Advanced Drive Mechanism: The CD drive mechanism, positioned at the player’s heart, is a testament to technical sophistication. Developed in-house by Marantz’s parent company D&M, this drive is renowned for its low operating noise and robust error correction capabilities. It plays a pivotal role in ensuring that music data is retrieved from CDs accurately, minimizing the chances of data read errors that can mar the listening experience.
- High-End DAC and Analog Output Stage: The Marantz CD6007 incorporates a top-tier AKM AK4490EQ digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with 32-bit resolution and an integrated digital filter. This choice of DAC is indicative of Marantz’s commitment to audio quality. Furthermore, the player features an elegant analog output stage constructed with Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM), which consist of dozens of individual transistors rather than relying solely on amplifier chips. This design elevates the player’s performance, ensuring the analog audio signal is handled carefully and precisely.
The Marantz CD6007 CD player exemplifies technical excellence through its meticulous engineering, advanced drive mechanism, high-quality DAC, and sophisticated analog output stage. These technical aspects contribute to its exceptional sound quality and overall performance, making it a standout choice for audiophiles who appreciate the art and science of audio reproduction.
The CD6007 offers various connectivity options, including gold-plated RCA outputs, optical and coaxial digital outputs, and a convenient front-panel USB interface for playing music from memory sticks. It supports many audio formats, including lossless and high-resolution options, expanding its versatility. The headphone output is notable for its excellent sound quality, though the volume control could be more user-friendly.
Practical Features of the Marantz CD6007 CD Player:
- Connectivity Options: The Marantz CD6007 offers a range of connectivity options to cater to various audio setups. It includes gold-plated RCA outputs for analog audio signals, ensuring a secure and reliable connection to amplifiers or receivers. It also provides optical and coaxial digital outputs, allowing users to utilize external digital-to-analog converters (DACs) for enhanced sound quality. These connectivity options make it versatile and compatible with various audio systems.
- Front-Panel USB Interface: One standout practical feature is the front-panel USB interface. This convenient port lets users connect USB memory sticks or drives directly to the CD6007. It supports various audio formats, including data-compressed formats like MP3, as well as lossless and high-resolution formats such as Apple Lossless, FLAC, WAV, and even DSD. This level of format compatibility allows audiophiles to enjoy their music collection at its highest fidelity, even when stored on external drives.
- Headphone Output: Positioned conveniently on the front panel, the CD6007’s output is a practical addition for those who want a more private listening experience. This output provides a high-quality audio signal, ensuring that headphone users can enjoy the same musicality and richness the player offers through speakers. While the volume control knob may be small and fiddly, it’s a minor inconvenience in an otherwise well-designed feature.
- User-Friendly Operation: The CD6007 is designed with user-friendliness in mind. Its straightforward controls and intuitive interface make it easy to navigate through tracks and access various playback options. The inclusion of a dot matrix display on the front panel provides essential information about the currently playing track and other settings, enhancing the overall user experience.
- Digital Filter and Sound Modes: The player features a digital filter and various sound modes that allow users to customize their listening experience. These options can be particularly practical for fine-tuning the sound to match personal preferences or adapt to different music genres.
- Remote Control: The CD6007 comes with a remote control that offers convenient playback control from a distance. This feature is especially useful when the player is part of a larger audio system, allowing users to manage their music without leaving their listening position.
- Build Quality and Durability: While not a traditional “feature,” the player’s robust build quality adds practicality by ensuring long-term durability. A well-constructed chassis and quality components contribute to the player’s reliability, reducing the likelihood of performance issues over time.
In conclusion, the Marantz CD6007 CD player incorporates practical features that enhance its versatility and ease of use. These features include a range of connectivity options, a front-panel USB interface with extensive format support, a headphone output, user-friendly controls, sound customization options, and a durable build. These practical aspects make the CD6007 a user-friendly and adaptable choice for music enthusiasts seeking a high-quality audio experience.
In summary, the Marantz CD6007 is a remarkable CD player that delivers beyond expectations. It combines affordability with a musical, powerful, and colorful sound signature, making it a valuable addition to any audio system. While it lacks streaming capabilities, its audio performance easily justifies the investment. The CD6007 showcases Marantz’s dedication to quality and musicality, making it a standout choice, even in a competitive market.
Advantages of the Marantz CD6007 CD Player:
- Musical Sound Quality: The CD6007 is lauded for its musical and harmonious sound quality, focusing on rhythm and melody. It offers a warm and engaging listening experience that brings out the emotional essence of music.
- High-Resolution Audio Support: This CD player can handle various audio formats, including high-resolution ones like FLAC, WAV, and DSD. This flexibility allows audiophiles to enjoy music at its best quality.
- Headphone Output: Including high-quality headphone output on the front panel is a significant advantage for those who enjoy private listening sessions. It ensures that headphone users experience the same audio excellence as speaker users.
- Build Quality: The CD6007 boasts a well-constructed chassis and quality components, contributing to its durability and reliability. Its robust build minimizes external vibrations, further enhancing sound quality.
- Versatile Connectivity: The player offers various connectivity options, including analog and digital outputs and a front-panel USB interface. This versatility allows it to integrate into a variety of audio systems seamlessly.
Disadvantages of the Marantz CD6007 CD Player:
- No Streaming Capabilities: One notable drawback is the absence of streaming features. This omission may disappoint users seeking a more all-in-one audio solution in an era of popular streaming music services.
- Price Point: While it offers excellent sound quality and features, the CD6007 falls into a mid-tier price range. Some budget-conscious buyers may find it relatively expensive compared to basic CD players or entry-level streaming devices.
- Fiddly Volume Control: Some users may find the small and somewhat fiddly volume control knob on the front panel less convenient than a larger, more ergonomic option.
- Limited Digital Inputs: The CD6007 primarily focuses on playback from physical discs and USB drives. It lacks digital inputs, which means you cannot use it as a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for other external digital sources.
- No Network Connectivity: Besides lacking streaming features, the player does not offer network connectivity, such as Wi-Fi or Ethernet. This limits its ability to access online content or software updates, which is increasingly common in modern audio equipment.
The Marantz CD6007 CD Player offers several advantages, including its musical sound quality, support for high-resolution audio, headphone output, build quality, and versatile connectivity options. However, it also has its drawbacks, such as the absence of streaming capabilities, its mid-tier price, a small volume control knob, limited digital inputs, and the lack of network connectivity. Ultimately, its suitability depends on the user’s specific audio needs and preferences.
We have reviewed another model of Marantz CD Player. Read the review of the Marantz CD60 CD Player here.