Step into the world of audio sophistication with the JBL Authentics 500, a WiFi and Bluetooth speaker that marries the timeless allure of retro design with state-of-the-art technology. Launched as part of the JBL Authentics series, this speaker pays homage to the iconic JBL L100 from the 1970s. Boasting a colossal presence and a blend of black and copper aesthetics, the Authentics 500 stands out as a visual masterpiece. In this in-depth review, we’ll navigate its vintage-inspired appearance, explore the intricacies of its features, and dive into the auditory experience it promises.
A Technological Marvel with Nostalgic Roots
Beyond its stunning exterior, the JBL Authentics 500 is a technological marvel designed to captivate audiophiles and party enthusiasts alike. With a robust configuration featuring three tweeters, midrange woofers, and a powerful subwoofer, this speaker delivers 270 Watts of 3.1-channel sound. Its compatibility with WiFi and Bluetooth, coupled with the immersive Dolby Atmos support, positions it at the forefront of modern audio innovation. Join us as we unravel the unique characteristics, setup intricacies, and audio prowess that define the JBL Authentics 500.
JBL: Pioneering Sound Excellence for Decades
Founded by James Bullough Lansing, JBL has etched its name as a venerable icon in the world of audio technology. Established in 1946, the company’s commitment to delivering exceptional sound quality has made it a trusted global brand. Renowned for its innovative speakers and audio solutions, JBL has consistently pushed the boundaries of audio engineering. With a history of over seven decades, JBL continues to be a trailblazer, combining cutting-edge technology with a passion for delivering immersive audio experiences across a diverse range of products, including headphones, speakers, and professional audio systems. As a cornerstone in the audio industry, JBL is a testament to the enduring pursuit of sonic excellence.
JBL Authentics 500 Specifications
|JBL AUTHENTICS 500
|447 x 240 x 255.7mm
|40 Hz to 20 kHz (-6 dB)
|3 x 25mm Al Dome Tweeters + 3 x 2.75 + 6.5 inch Midrange Bass Speakers
|3.5mm auxiliary input, USB-C input
|A2DP 1.3.2, AVRCP 1.5
|0°C – 45°C
Design: A Retro Resurgence
The design of the JBL Authentics 500 pays homage to the classic JBL L100 from the 1970s and orchestrates a meticulous blend of vintage aesthetics and contemporary functionality. The exterior, characterized by a black finish adorned with copper accents, emanates a timeless elegance. The leather-like texture enveloping the speaker exudes sophistication, while the Quadrex soft front design adds a layer of visual finesse. The top panel, a masterpiece of user interface design, features three large dials for volume, treble, and bass adjustment, seamlessly marrying a retro appearance with modern control.
The dimensions of the Authentics 500, nearly 45 centimeters wide, 24 centimeters high, and 26 centimeters deep, contribute to its colossal presence. Yet, precisely, this size accommodates the impressive audio components within. The retro design, with its careful selection of materials and details, serves as an aesthetic homage and a testament to JBL’s dedication to crafting speakers that transcend the boundaries of time and seamlessly integrate into both classic and contemporary living spaces. The JBL Authentics 500 is not just a speaker but a visual marvel that encapsulates the spirit of a retro resurgence in the world of audio design.
Features: A Tech Marvel
The JBL Authentics 500 is a testament to technological prowess, seamlessly marrying vintage charm with cutting-edge features. Boasting an impressive audio configuration, the speaker integrates three 1″ tweeters, three 2.75″ midrange woofers, and a downward-firing 6.5″ subwoofer, commanding 270 Watts of 3.1 channel sound. However, its technological repertoire extends far beyond raw power.
One of the standout features is the inclusion of Dolby Atmos, elevating the auditory experience to new heights by providing immersive and three-dimensional sound. The speaker’s versatility is underscored by its WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity support, allowing users to stream seamlessly from various devices. With automatic self-tuning capabilities, the Authentics 500 optimizes its sound profile effortlessly.
In addition to its audio prowess, the speaker boasts an array of intelligent functionalities. From support for a range of streaming services to compatibility with voice assistants like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, the Authentics 500 transforms any space into a connectivity hub. The Ethernet and auxiliary connections provide additional flexibility for diverse audio sources. The JBL One app serves as a control hub, allowing users to manage settings, firmware updates, and connected products. With features like AirPlay, Alexa MRM, Chromecast built-in, and Spotify Connect, the Authentics 500 transcends the conventional speaker realm, positioning itself as a true technological marvel in the audio landscape.
Setup and Installation: A Few Bumps
While the JBL Authentics 500 promises an immersive audio experience, its journey from unboxing to optimal functionality comes with a few navigational challenges. Setting up this technological marvel involves engaging with the JBL One app, the gateway to unlocking its myriad features. However, this journey isn’t always a seamless one.
The initial connection process may require patience, with some users reporting difficulty locating the WiFi network during the first attempt. A slight hiccup in the setup process is the need for a firmware update. Unfortunately, this seemingly routine update can become a protracted affair, with some users encountering repeated failures during installation. This occasional hurdle might leave early adopters relying on the speaker’s initial configuration sans the latest firmware enhancements.
However, persistence often pays off, as reflected in the successful installation experiences reported in subsequent attempts. The JBL One app, although the central control hub, does have a learning curve, and users might find themselves fumbling through the initial stages of operation. Despite these minor bumps in the road, the result is an audio powerhouse ready to deliver a spectrum of sounds. The journey from unboxing to audio ecstasy may have a few twists, but for those willing to navigate the bumps, the destination is well worth the effort.
JBL One App: Functional but Lacking
As the control nerve center for the JBL Authentics 500, the JBL One app plays a pivotal role in managing the speaker’s array of features. While undeniably functional, the app reveals strengths and shortcomings, giving users a somewhat nuanced experience.
Upon opening the JBL One app, users are greeted with a comprehensive view of their connected products, providing a centralized hub for audio control. The app’s functionality extends beyond the Authentics 500, allowing users to manage other JBL speakers seamlessly. Navigating to the specific page for the Authentics 500 reveals the critical controls for playback, volume, and the last-used streaming service.
However, when delving into audio customization, the app’s Achilles’ heel becomes apparent. Notably absent are sound presets, a feature often sought after by audiophiles for tailoring the audio output to specific preferences. The app’s 3-band equalizer for adjusting Bass, Mid, and Treble offers a level of customization, but its limitations may leave discerning users wanting more granularity in sound manipulation.
In the realm of streaming services, the JBL One app showcases compatibility with selected platforms like Amazon Music, Qobuz, TIDAL, and TuneIn. Yet, the notable omission of Spotify in direct control (although Spotify Connect is supported) may leave Spotify enthusiasts relying on alternate methods for playback control.
Despite these limitations, the app provides essential product settings, WiFi streaming information, and convenient voice assistant access. While functional and user-friendly, the JBL One app falls short of offering the depth of customization and audio finesse that audiophiles might crave, leaving room for potential refinements in future updates.
Audio Performance: Party-Ready Sound
In the realm of auditory delights, the JBL Authentics 500 emerges as a veritable powerhouse, offering a sonic experience that transcends the ordinary. Tailored for those who revel in the art of celebration, this colossal speaker boasts an undeniably party-ready audio profile.
The Authentics 500’s audio prowess lies in its formidable configuration – a trio of 1″ tweeters, three 2.75″ midrange woofers, and a commanding 6.5″ downward-firing subwoofer. This amalgamation of components delivers a staggering 270 Watts of 3.1-channel sound, creating a dynamic and immersive auditory canvas.
From the pulsating beats of pop to the infectious rhythms of dance and trance, the Authentics 500 excels in genres that demand a robust, thumping soundstage. Including a powerful subwoofer at the bottom ensures that the low frequencies are heard and felt, making it a delight for bass enthusiasts. Cranking up the volume unleashes a ‘bombastic’ quality, perfect for those occasions when the music should be felt as much as heard.
Lorde’s ‘Pop with a Beat’ and its track “Ribs” showcase the Authentics 500’s capabilities, with the speaker breathing life into the music, offering a delightful fusion of clarity and resonance. Yet, this sonic prowess is not universally applied, as genres like Trivium’s metalcore/thrash metal might not receive the same vibrant treatment, appearing somewhat flat and lacking the liveliness found in other genres.
In essence, the Authentics 500 establishes itself as an ideal companion for parties and lively gatherings, where its bombastic sound, coupled with a dynamic separation of low, medium, and high frequencies, transforms any space into a vibrant sonic arena. While its inclination towards mainstream genres is undeniable, it thrives as a party-centric speaker, ensuring that every beat resonates with a powerful, full, warm sound that defines the epitome of celebration.
Usability and Unique Functions: Navigating the Auditory Frontier
The JBL Authentics 500 not only captivates with its visual grandeur and powerful audio output but also excels in usability, offering a spectrum of features that elevate the user experience.
1. Connectivity Versatility: A hallmark of the Authentics 500 lies in its versatile connectivity options. With WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities, users can seamlessly switch between modes based on their preferences. This dual functionality ensures compatibility with myriad devices, providing flexibility in how users engage with their audio sources.
2. Smart Integration: The speaker goes beyond the realms of a traditional audio device by integrating seamlessly into the smart home ecosystem. With support for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, users can command their virtual assistants effortlessly, enhancing the speaker’s utility beyond music playback. The simultaneous support for both voice assistants adds a unique layer of convenience for users with preferences for either ecosystem.
3. JBL One App Control: While the JBL One app may have limitations, it is a centralized control hub for managing connected JBL products, including the Authentics 500. The app’s interface allows users to navigate through settings, control playback, and initiate firmware updates. However, the absence of certain advanced features, such as sound presets, hints at areas where refinement could enhance the overall user experience.
4. Dynamic Equalization: The Authentics 500 features a dynamic equalizer within the JBL One app, allowing users to fine-tune the audio experience. Adjustments to Bass, Mid, and Treble can be made, allowing customization. While the equalizer provides flexibility, users might wish for more advanced options to cater to diverse musical preferences.
5. Party-Mode Performance: Unique to the Authentics 500 is its inherent inclination towards delivering a party-centric audio experience. The speaker’s colossal sound output, combined with a powerful subwoofer and distinct separation of frequencies, ensures that it excels in genres associated with lively gatherings. The lack of nuanced detail, while a drawback for audiophiles, becomes a defining feature for those seeking a speaker dedicated to elevating celebratory atmospheres.
In essence, the usability of the JBL Authentics 500 shines through its adaptability, smart integrations, and user-friendly controls. While it may cater exceptionally well to party environments and mainstream music preferences, the speaker’s unique functions pave the way for a multifaceted audio experience that transcends conventional expectations.
Technical Excellence and Functionality: Unraveling the Sonic Marvel
The JBL Authentics 500 is a beacon of technical brilliance, seamlessly integrating advanced features to deliver a sonic experience that transcends conventional audio boundaries.
1. Audio Configuration: A meticulously crafted audio configuration is at the heart of its technical prowess. The speaker achieves a harmonious balance across the frequency spectrum by boasting three 1″ tweeters, three 2.75″ midrange woofers, and a commanding 6.5″ downward-firing subwoofer. With 270 Watts of 3.1-channel sound, it provides a powerful and immersive audio canvas.
2. Dolby Atmos Integration: Elevating the auditory experience to cinematic heights, the Authentics 500 incorporates Dolby Atmos technology. This advanced audio processing enhances spatial awareness, immersing listeners in a three-dimensional soundscape. The result is an audio journey beyond mere listening, creating an environment where each note and beat is intricately placed in the sonic landscape.
3. Connectivity Mastery: The Authentics 500 exemplifies connectivity versatility. With WiFi and Bluetooth, users can seamlessly switch between these modes, offering flexibility in audio source management. Additionally, compatibility with AirPlay, Alexa MRM, Chromecast built-in, and Spotify Connect expands the possibilities, ensuring users can effortlessly integrate the speaker into their preferred ecosystems.
4. Automatic Self-Tuning: The speaker’s commitment to optimal audio performance is evident in its automatic self-tuning feature. This functionality fine-tunes the sound profile, adapting to the acoustics of its surroundings. The result is an audio output that is powerful and finely calibrated to deliver an optimal listening experience, regardless of the environment.
5. Voice Assistant Integration: Beyond its prowess as a speaker, the Authentics 500 transforms into a smart hub with its integration of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. The simultaneous support for both voice assistants enhances user convenience, allowing seamless control of smart home devices and information retrieval with just a voice command.
6. JBL One App Control: While the JBL One app may have room for improvement, it remains a functional control center for managing the Authentics 500. The app serves as a centralized hub from firmware updates to product settings. Users can also control connected JBL products, showcasing the speaker’s integration into a broader audio ecosystem.
In conclusion, the technical excellence and functionality of the JBL Authentics 500 paint a picture of a speaker designed not only for exceptional audio reproduction but also for seamless integration into the modern audio landscape. Each facet of its technical repertoire contributes to an unparalleled auditory journey that defines the pinnacle of sonic marvels, from advanced audio configurations to smart integrations.
Verdict: A Party Speaker with Flair
In the symphony of audio technology, the JBL Authentics 500 emerges as a captivating overture, seamlessly blending retro elegance with cutting-edge features. Its colossal presence and vintage-inspired design evoke a sense of nostalgia, while the technical brilliance sets the stage for a sonic masterpiece. The speaker’s ability to deliver a party-ready sound and advanced functionalities like Dolby Atmos integration, dual voice assistant support, and versatile connectivity options solidify its position as a multifaceted audio powerhouse. While its performance in mainstream genres and celebratory environments is undeniably stellar, audiophiles seeking nuanced detail may find the speaker lacking refinement. The JBL Authentics 500 stands as a beacon of innovation, inviting enthusiasts to immerse themselves in a rich audio tapestry, albeit with the anticipation of potential refinements in future iterations.
As we bid farewell to the exploration of the JBL Authentics 500, it leaves an indelible mark as a speaker that transcends mere audio reproduction. Its fusion of timeless design, technical prowess, and intelligent functionality makes it a compelling choice for those seeking an immersive audio experience. While the journey from setup to party-ready soundscape is not without bumps, the destination celebrates sound that resonates with elegance and vitality. The Authentics 500 invites users to revel in its symphony, marking a moment in the evolution of audio technology where the past and the future merge, promising a harmonious experience for audiophiles and party enthusiasts alike.
Reasons to Buy the JBL Authentics 500:
- Sonic Powerhouse: For those who crave a speaker that can fill the room with powerful and immersive sound, the Authentics 500 delivers a robust 3.1-channel audio experience. It is ideal for parties and lively gatherings and boasts a party-ready sound with a dynamic separation of low, medium, and high frequencies.
- Versatile Connectivity: With WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities, the Authentics 500 offers flexibility in connecting various devices. Its compatibility with AirPlay, Alexa MRM, Chromecast built-in, and Spotify Connect expands the range of options for users who prefer different audio sources and ecosystems.
- Retro Elegance: The vintage-inspired design, reminiscent of the iconic JBL L100 from the 1970s, adds a touch of old-fashioned elegance to any space. Its black finish, copper accents, and leather-like texture make it a visually stunning addition to home decor.
- Smart Integration: The inclusion of Dolby Atmos, support for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, and the ability to control the speaker through the JBL One app transform the Authentics 500 into an intelligent hub. It seamlessly integrates into a smart home environment, offering voice control and management of connected devices.
Reasons Not to Buy the JBL Authentics 500:
- Limited Audiophile Detail: If you are an audiophile seeking intricate details and subtlety in sound, the Authentics 500, focusing on delivering a bombastic and party-centric audio profile, may not cater to your refined tastes.
- Setup Challenges: The setup process, involving the JBL One app and occasional firmware update hiccups, may pose challenges for users seeking a seamless and hassle-free installation experience.
- Lack of Sound Presets: The absence of sound presets in the JBL One app limits customization options for users who wish to finely tune the audio output to match their music preferences.
- Connection Stability: Some users have reported occasional connection issues, requiring manual reconnection or troubleshooting. If a stable and uninterrupted connection is a priority, these intermittent glitches might be a drawback.
Investing in the JBL Authentics 500 hinges on one’s priorities and preferences. If you seek a visually striking speaker with powerful sound for dynamic environments, and you can overlook some setup intricacies, the Authentics 500 is a compelling choice. However, exploring alternative options might be worth considering if nuanced audio detail and a flawless setup process are non-negotiable.