The Canton Reference 5 is a testament to the marriage of artistry and audio engineering, where form and function harmoniously coexist. Its exquisite design characterized by perfect proportions, gentle curves, and impeccable craftsmanship makes it an aesthetic masterpiece in the world of high-end speakers. Its visual appeal is matched only by its remarkable sonic capabilities, which transcend its price point. This speaker represents a bold leap forward for Canton, embodying their commitment to pushing the boundaries of speaker technology. In this review, we delve into Reference 5’s build quality, design elegance, and its prowess in delivering an unparalleled listening experience.
As the second smallest floorstanding loudspeaker in the Reference series, the Reference 5 inherits a legacy of innovation and excellence. Canton has a storied history of introducing groundbreaking technologies through their Reference line, and Reference 5 is no exception. The following sections explore Reference 5’s design, materials, and the intricate engineering that sets it apart from competitors. We also embark on a sonic journey to evaluate how it performs across various musical genres. Ultimately, we aim to discern whether Reference 5 lives up to its predecessors’ lofty expectations and justifies its premium price tag.
Build Quality and Design
The Canton Reference 5 excels in build quality and design, setting new standards for high-end speakers. It’s not just a speaker; it’s a work of art demonstrating meticulous attention to detail.
Impeccable Craftsmanship: The Reference 5 showcases impeccable craftsmanship. Its exterior finish, whether deep black piano or silk matte white, is a testament to precision and care. The paintwork is not only flawless but also consistent and even, even upon close inspection. Canton’s commitment to perfection in the exterior finish reflects its dedication to delivering a speaker that sounds exceptional and looks stunning.
Innovative Design Elements: What sets Reference 5 apart is its innovative design elements. Unlike many speakers, it features no parallel walls inside the cabinet. This design approach is not just for aesthetics but also for acoustic purposes. It minimizes standing waves within the speaker’s enclosure, providing an unparalleled listening experience. Canton’s decision to eliminate parallel walls demonstrates its commitment to achieving acoustic excellence, even if it comes with added complexity and cost.
Curved Aesthetics: The Reference 5’s exterior is marked by its elegant curves. These curves contribute to its aesthetic appeal and enhance its stability. The speaker’s unique bow-shaped cabinet, slightly different from its predecessors, adds a touch of sophistication to its overall design. From the top perspective, the subtly sloping cover plate and the lower part of the housing, all at precise angles, are not just about looks; they play a role in sound projection and stability.
Thoughtful Details: Beyond the external aesthetics, the Reference 5 is packed with thoughtful details. It employs a base that adds visual contrast and guides sound through the downward-facing reflex opening. This design ensures the speaker remains stable while delivering a captivating listening experience. Additionally, the concealed reflex port adds to the overall elegance of the design while maintaining flexibility in placement options.
The Canton Reference 5 is a prime example of how craftsmanship and innovative design can elevate a speaker to a level that transcends mere audio equipment. It’s a testament to the brand’s commitment to excellence, where aesthetics and acoustics blend seamlessly to create a speaker that is a delight to the ears and a feast for the eyes.
Comparison with Competitors
When pitted against its competitors in the high-end speaker market, the Canton Reference 5 emerges as a formidable contender that excels in multiple aspects. One notable area where it outshines its rivals is its innovative design philosophy. Unlike many competitors, the Reference 5 adopts a curved, non-parallel wall cabinet design. This unique approach minimizes standing waves within the enclosure, producing remarkably clean and precise sound reproduction. While other high-end speakers may prioritize aesthetics or traditional designs, the Reference 5’s commitment to acoustic excellence sets it apart, making it a compelling choice for audiophiles who demand both style and substance.
Moreover, the Reference 5’s use of advanced materials and meticulous craftsmanship gives it a distinct edge. Its impeccable exterior finish, whether in glossy black or elegant silk matte white, showcases flawless paintwork that is visually appealing and indicative of the brand’s dedication to quality. In comparison, some competitors may offer stylish designs but fall short in attention to detail and precision. The Reference 5’s blend of innovative design, superior materials, and expert craftsmanship places it at the forefront of the high-end speaker market, making it a standout choice for those seeking a harmonious fusion of aesthetics and sonic excellence.
Usability of Canton Reference 5
The usability of the Canton Reference 5 extends beyond its exceptional sound quality and stunning design, encompassing aspects such as ease of setup, flexibility in room placement, and user-friendly features.
1. Straightforward Setup: Setting up the Reference 5 is a straightforward process, making it accessible even to users who may not be audio enthusiasts. Including clear instructions and well-designed packaging ensures that users can have their speakers up and running without undue complexity. This user-friendliness adds to the appeal of the Reference 5, especially for those who want a hassle-free experience.
2. Versatile Room Placement: The Reference 5’s adaptability in various room sizes is a notable usability feature. Its design and engineering allow it to perform exceptionally well in various room configurations. Whether in a small, acoustically treated space or a larger living room, the Reference 5 can be placed confidently, ensuring that it delivers its impressive sound quality without requiring extensive room modifications.
3. Adjustable Feet: A standout usability feature is including adjustable feet. These contribute to the speaker’s stability and allow users to fine-tune the sound according to their preferences and room conditions. This adaptability is particularly advantageous for those seeking a customized listening experience, ensuring that the Reference 5 can deliver its sonic prowess to its fullest potential.
4. User-Friendly Controls: The Reference 5 incorporates user-friendly controls, such as the bi-wire terminal with secure connection terminals. This feature simplifies connecting various types of cables, providing flexibility for users to choose their preferred connectivity options. Additionally, the adjustable bridges for high and mid-range adjustment offer a convenient way to fine-tune the sound output to suit individual listening tastes and room characteristics.
The Canton Reference 5’s usability extends beyond its remarkable audio capabilities. Its thoughtful design, user-friendly features, and adaptability make it an inviting choice for a wide range of users, from seasoned audiophiles to those seeking a high-quality audio experience without the complexity often associated with high-end audio equipment.
Technical Excellence of Canton Reference 5
The Canton Reference 5 is a testament to technical excellence in high-end speakers. It encompasses a range of cutting-edge technologies and design innovations that set it apart from the competition. At the core of its technical prowess lies the use of ceramic-treated membranes for its midrange and woofers. This advanced material treatment involves an oxidation process in an electrolysis bath, resulting in an aluminum/oxide ceramic structure. The benefits are twofold: the membranes become stiffer without increasing weight, moving closer to the ideal of a mass-free oscillating system. This innovative approach to materials showcases Canton’s commitment to pushing the boundaries of speaker engineering to deliver superior sound quality.
Furthermore, the Reference 5 boasts a quartet of matte black drivers that exhibit exceptional technical refinement. With its substantial 174-millimeter size, the midrange driver ensures clear and precise mid-frequency reproduction. Paired with a 25-millimeter tweeter optimally placed for sound guidance, the Reference 5 achieves remarkable high-frequency accuracy. The two 17.4-centimeter woofers feature Canton’s latest-generation wave surround, a patented technology that reduces unwanted partial vibrations while allowing for a larger stroke. This translates to a dynamic and controlled low-frequency performance essential for a full and immersive listening experience. Overall, the Reference 5’s technical excellence, from material science to driver design, culminates in a speaker that stands as a benchmark in the high-end audio landscape.
Practical Features of the Canton Reference 5
The Canton Reference 5 offers a range of practical features that enhance its usability and user experience:
1. Bi-Wire Terminal: The speaker has a bi-wire terminal featuring powerful WBT next-gen connection terminals. This practical feature allows users to connect various cables, including cable lugs, bananas, or unassembled cables, providing flexibility in their choice of audio cables while ensuring secure and reliable connections.
2. Adjustable Bridges: Eight gold-colored elements are positioned just above the terminals that serve as adjustable bridges for high and mid-range adjustment. Users can fine-tune the speaker’s sound output by moving these bridges upward or downward from the middle, allowing for precise adjustments to match personal listening preferences or room acoustics.
3. Stable Base: To ensure stability and optimal sound projection, the Reference 5 includes a base acting as a visual contrast. This practical design element enhances the speaker’s aesthetics and serves a functional purpose in guiding sound through the downward-facing reflex opening, contributing to an improved listening experience.
4. Concealed Reflex Port: The cleverly concealed reflex port is both a practical and aesthetic feature. It adds to the speaker’s elegance and makes it more flexible to set up in various room configurations. This design consideration ensures that users can enjoy the Reference 5’s exceptional sound without the limitations of traditional visible reflex ports.
5. Included Feet: While not exclusive to the speaker, the feet add to its practicality. These feet enhance stability and, as discovered during testing, can have a noticeable impact on sound quality. They ensure the Reference 5 is set up without wobbling, providing a more consistent and enjoyable listening experience.
In summary, the Canton Reference 5 combines technical excellence with practical features that make it a high-performing audio device and a user-friendly one. These practical design elements, from the bi-wire terminal to the adjustable bridges and stable base, cater to audiophiles and enthusiasts seeking sonic precision and ease of use in their high-end speaker systems.
Listening Experience: Sound Quality and Sound Test
The listening experience with the Canton Reference 5 is extraordinary, setting a benchmark for sound quality and performance for high-end speakers. It consistently impresses with its precision, dynamics, and immersive audio delivery when put to the test across various music genres.
Precision and Clarity: One of the standout qualities of the Reference 5 is its precision. It delivers music with unparalleled clarity, ensuring every instrument and vocal nuance is heard with exceptional detail. Even in complex compositions, each instrument occupies its own space on the soundstage, allowing listeners to appreciate the intricacies of the music.
Dynamic Range: The Reference 5 excels in handling dynamic ranges with ease. Whether it’s a vocalist’s softest whisper or an orchestra’s thunderous crescendo, this speaker reproduces it all with grace. It transitions between soft and loud passages effortlessly, maintaining clarity and impact throughout, especially when listening to classical or orchestral music.
Balanced Sound Signature: The speaker offers a balanced sound signature that caters to various musical tastes. It delivers deep, controlled bass that provides a solid foundation without overwhelming the rest of the frequencies. The midrange is articulate and expressive, allowing vocals to shine, while the high frequencies are crisp and detailed without any harshness.
Soundstage and Immersion: The Reference 5 creates a captivating soundstage that envelops the listener. The speaker’s ability to convey a sense of space and atmosphere is remarkable, whether it’s the spaciousness of a live jazz performance or the intimacy of a solo acoustic guitar. It immerses the listener in the music, providing a genuinely engaging experience.
Genre Versatility: The Reference 5’s versatility shines in different music genres. It handles classical compositions with the same finesse as rock, pop, or electronic music. It adapts seamlessly to the unique demands of each genre, ensuring that listeners can enjoy a wide range of music with the same level of sonic excellence.
Impactful Bass Response: When put to the test with bass-heavy tracks, the Reference 5 proves its mettle. The low-frequency response is powerful and impactful, delivering a visceral bass experience that resonates with the listener. Even at high volumes, the bass remains controlled and articulate.
In conclusion, the listening experience with the Canton Reference 5 is a journey through sonic perfection. Its precision, dynamic range, balanced sound signature, and immersive soundstage make it a standout performer in high-end speakers. It brings music to life with a level of detail and emotion that captivates the listener, making it a top choice for audiophiles and music enthusiasts seeking an unparalleled auditory adventure.
Reasons to buy/not buy
Reasons to Buy the Canton Reference 5:
- Unparalleled Sound Quality: The Reference 5 offers an audio experience that is second to none. Its precision, clarity, and ability to handle a wide range of music genres make it a compelling choice for audiophiles seeking the utmost in sonic excellence.
- Innovative Design: Its unique non-parallel wall cabinet design and meticulous craftsmanship contribute to its stunning aesthetics and enhance its acoustic performance. It’s a speaker that not only sounds exceptional but is also a work of art.
- Flexible Room Placement: The Reference 5’s adaptability allows it to excel in different room sizes and configurations. It can be placed with confidence in a variety of living spaces, offering versatility to users.
- User-Friendly Features: Practical features like adjustable bridges, bi-wire terminals, and concealed reflex ports enhance usability and customization. Audiophiles and enthusiasts can fine-tune the sound to their preferences.
- Immersive Soundstage: The speaker’s ability to create an immersive soundstage that draws you into the music is a standout feature. It makes for an engaging and captivating listening experience.
Reasons Not to Buy the Canton Reference 5:
- High Price Tag: The Reference 5’s exceptional quality and advanced technologies come at a premium cost, making it less accessible to those with budget constraints.
- Size and Weight: Its substantial size and weight may pose challenges regarding transportation and placement, particularly in smaller living spaces.
- Complex Setup: While the setup is straightforward for experienced users, individuals new to high-end audio equipment may find it somewhat complex, potentially requiring professional installation.
- Limited Color Options: The speaker offers a choice between a deep black piano finish and silk matte white, limiting color options for those who seek a broader range of aesthetic choices.
- Room Acoustics Dependency: The Reference 5’s performance may still be influenced by room acoustics, which may necessitate some room treatment for optimal results.
Want to know about floorstanding speakers? Read the types of speakers available.
Like Canton Reference 5? Read about other family members of Reference 5
The Canton Reference 5, with its remarkable blend of aesthetic sophistication and acoustic excellence, emerges as a triumph in the world of high-end speakers. Throughout our exploration of its features, design, technical prowess, and listening experience, it consistently demonstrated a level of quality that sets it apart from its peers.
From a design perspective, the Reference 5 embodies elegance and attention to detail. Its innovative curved cabinet design, impeccable paintwork, and thoughtful touches like adjustable feet and concealed reflex ports showcase Canton’s commitment to form and function. It’s not merely an audio device; it’s a work of art that enhances any living space.
Regarding sound quality, the Reference 5’s precision, dynamic range, and immersive soundstage make it a top-tier performer. Whether handling classical compositions, rock anthems, or electronic beats, it delivers music with clarity and emotion that is nothing short of breathtaking. While the price tag may position it as an investment, the Reference 5 unquestionably justifies its cost through its unparalleled audio experience. In conclusion, the Canton Reference 5 is a masterpiece that seamlessly marries technical excellence with aesthetic allure, setting a new standard for what high-end speakers can achieve. For those who demand nothing but the best in form and function, the Reference 5 is a compelling choice that delivers an auditory journey of sheer perfection.
Advantages of the Canton Reference 5:
- Exceptional Sound Quality: The Reference 5 delivers an audio experience characterized by precision, clarity, and a balanced sound signature. It excels in reproducing both delicate nuances and powerful dynamics across a wide range of music genres.
- Innovative Design: Its innovative non-parallel wall cabinet design and high-quality materials contribute to its exceptional acoustic performance. The attention to detail in craftsmanship and aesthetic appeal sets it apart in terms of design.
- Versatile Room Placement: The Reference 5’s adaptability allows it to perform well in various room sizes and configurations, offering users flexibility in placement without compromising on sound quality.
- User-Friendly Features: Practical features such as adjustable bridges, bi-wire terminals, and concealed reflex ports enhance usability and customization, making it accessible to both audiophiles and enthusiasts.
- Immersive Soundstage: The speaker’s ability to create an immersive soundstage that envelops the listener enhances the overall listening experience, making it captivating and engaging.
Disadvantages of the Canton Reference 5:
- High Price Tag: The Reference 5’s premium quality and advanced technologies come at a premium price, making it less accessible to budget-conscious consumers.
- Size and Weight: Its substantial size and weight may pose challenges in terms of transportation, placement, and compatibility with smaller living spaces.
- Complex Setup: While the setup process is straightforward for experienced users, those new to high-end audio equipment may find it somewhat complex, potentially requiring professional installation for optimal performance.
- Limited Color Options: The speaker offers a choice between deep black piano finish and silk matte white, limiting color options for users who may seek a broader range of aesthetic choices.
- Room Acoustics Dependency: While versatile in various room sizes, the Reference 5’s performance may still be influenced by room acoustics, necessitating some room treatment for the best results.