For the last 8 years, PerfectWave DirectStream DAC has been recognized around the world as a reference standard. We are proud to introduce its successor, the PerfectWave DirectStream DAC MK2.
Since its groundbreaking introduction 8 years ago, the PerfectWave DirectStream has stood out as one of the most remarkable DACs ever built. We are excited to share with the world the next generation of this technological marvel, the PerfectWave DirectStream DAC MK2. Unlike the vast majority of high-end DACs based on IC technology out of the box, DirectStream MK2 uses user-upgradable software based on handwritten FPGA code. In essence, the MK2 uses a seamlessly based, galvanically isolated, discrete conversion that discovers all the missing information lurking in your digital audio media. CDs, streaming audio, high-resolution DSD or PCM-based media are expertly sampled into DirectStream MK2 at twenty times the DSD rate and output as pure analog directly to your amplifier or preamp. There has never been a better sounding DAC anywhere near the price of DirectStream MK2. The innovative DirectStream DAC was the first choice of thousands of critical listeners around the world, and now, with the introduction of the MK2, that legacy will continue.
DirectStream MK2 converts each of your galvanically isolated input signals, both PCM and DSD, into a high sample rate 50-bit version that is then converted to pure DSD for final conversion to pure analog. The use of twin FPGAs instead of a commercially available DAC chip provides immense processing power, resulting in a complete absence of digital glare and allowing the owner to download our free OS updates as they are released. With every free OS update, new resolution levels and audio magic will enrich and renew this remarkable D to A converter.
DirectStream MK2 is the heart of a system based on high-resolution, true reference-quality digital audio. It handles all PCM sources up to 705.6 kHz and DSD up to 256. Its zero-loss digital volume control now features 100% galvanically isolated inputs, outputs, and power supplies, as well as a completely new fader architecture for better matching. system level with six levels of attenuation that are automatically selected based on the requested volume level, allowing DirectStream MK2 to be used as a preamplifier, directly feeding a power amplifier.
- Optical (TOSLink): PCM 16 and 24 bits at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz and 96kHz
- S/PDIF (Coax and XLR): PCM 16 and 24 bits at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz and 192kHz
- DoP64 Dual XLR: PCM 16 and 24 bits at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz and 352.8kHz
- DoP64 and DoP128 I2S: PCM 16 and 24 bits at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, and 705.6
- DoP64, DoP128, DoP256, DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256 USB: PCM 16 and 24 bits at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, and 705.6, DoP64, DoP128, DSD DoP256, DSD256, , and DSD256
analog audio output
- Connector: RCA single ended or balanced, XLR balanced
- High Output Level, Maximum: 4 VRMS Balanced, 2 VRMS Single Ended
- Output impedance: <100 Ω/<200 Ω
- Frequency Response: 20-20KHz +/- 0.25dB
- THD+N @ 1KHz (full scale): <0.1%
- Output stage: Passive audio transformer, powered by high-speed, high-current analog amplifiers producing double-speed DSD
- Format: PCM or DSD
- Sampling Frequency (PCM) 44.1 kHz, 48.0 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96.0 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.8 kHz; 705.6kHz
- Word length (PCM) 16b, 18b, 20b, 24b
- Data Rate (DSD): Standard (2.8 MHz) or Dual (5.6 MHz) DoP as well as Raw DSD on I2S and USB inputs
digital input I2S
- Connector: HDMI
- Format: PCM or DSD. DoP on all inputs as well as raw DSD on I2S inputs
USB digital input
- USB Type “B” connector
- PCM, DoP v1.1 (DSD over PCM) or native DSD format
- Transfer mode: Asynchronous