Pro-Ject Tube Box DS3 B Phono Preamplifier
Faithful to its promise of putting within reach of sound enthusiasts with capital letters, versatile and affordable musical products that are capable of satisfying the most varied needs, Pro-Ject Audio Systems has just launched the Phono Tube Box DS3 B, a complete phono preamplifier for moving coil (MC) and moving magnet (MM) capsules, which stands out for combining vacuum tubes (a pair of the popular and ultra-reliable ECC83/12AX7) with a completely dual monophonic and balanced circuit topology (hence the “B” of his name). The second fundamental feature of this compact and refined electronics intended for vinyl record enthusiasts is the use of discrete (that is, individual, not integrated into “chips”) audiophile-grade and very low noise components to obtain a sound as natural and dynamic as possible
The third key element of the Phono Tube Box DS3 B involves the very careful design of its RIAA stage, responsible for processing the signal coming from the gain stage and executing 100% with discrete components. As a result of its internal architecture, the Pro-Ject includes inputs (both XLR connectors and a stereo mini-XLR connector are available to facilitate connection to a turntable) and balanced outputs, which are entrusted to a dedicated stage, allowing you to benefit once again from the symmetrical connection, in this case to the associated line preamplifier or integrated amplifier. As for the unbalanced outputs (via RCA connectors) are also treated by their own circuitry, fed directly by the RIAA equalization circuitry. The “practical” part of the Phono Tube Box DS3 B would have to be described as spectacular due to the generosity of the adjustment options that it puts in the hands of the user.
Specifically, no less than 6 gain options are available (40/45/50/55/60/65 dB; +6 dB with balanced outputs) and 4 for input capacitance (50, 150, 300, and 400 pF ) and an unusual, in a product of this price, continuous adjustment of the input impedance between 10 and 1,000 ohms dedicated to the moving coil cartridges. Thanks to this, this new Pro-Ject phono preamplifier is compatible with the vast majority of pickup capsules available on the market, which adds the inherent advantages of its balanced architecture. The Tube Box DS3 B, entirely designed and manufactured in Europe, is completed with an all-metal construction (aluminum) and an external switching power supply that can be optionally upgraded with a linear type, such as the Power Box DS2 Sources from Pro-Ject itself.
- Compatible with moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) cartridges.
- Balanced gain stage executed with very low noise components.
- High precision RIAA equalization section.
- 6 gain settings (40/45/50/55/60/65 dB; +6 dB with balanced outputs).
- Input impedance adjustable between 10 and 1,000 ohms; fixed 47 ohms.
- 4 input capacitance settings (50, 150, 300 and 400 pF).
- Balanced (XLR+mini XRL) and unbalanced (RCA) inputs and outputs.
- Entirely metal construction.
- Optional wooden side panels are available.
- External switching power supply.
- Linear power supply optionally available.
- Frequency response of 20-20,000 Hz, +/-0.2 dB (RIAA curve).
- Signal-to-noise ratio of 88 dB.
- Designed and manufactured entirely in Europe.
- Dimensions: 206x91x227 mm (WxHxD).
- Weight: 1.50 kg (without power supply).