The NAD C 389 Hybrid Digital DAC amplifier is a slightly less powerful version of the C 399 launched last year. Offering 130 watts of power per channel, the C 389 adopts NAD’s HybridDigital UcD amplifier design, featuring multiple UcD amplifier modules in a balanced and bridged configuration and a switching power supply which can supply sufficient power reserves on demand. In the housing we also see a 32-bit/384kHz ESS Technology Saber DAC chip.
In terms of connections, the C 389 HybridDigital DAC is equipped with almost all options, including a low-noise phono stage and HDMI eARC. You can connect two sets of speakers to it, plus two subwoofers. The amplifier also comes with preamplifier outputs and a headphone amplifier.
Like other NAD products, the C 389 can be expanded with modules. The C 389 has two slots, with which you can add future functions or add the BluOS streaming platform. The MDC2 BluOS-D module adds high-resolution BluOS multi-room streaming and Dirac Live room correction to the amplifier.
Features NAD C 389 HybridDigital DAC Amplifer
- Custom HybridDigital UcD amplifier in fully balanced bridged configuration
- Continuous power: 2 x 130 watts per channel into eight or four ohms
- Peak Power: 210 watts into eight ohms, 300 watts into four ohms, 350 watts into two ohms
- Very low harmonic distortion and intermodulation distortion
- Nearly unmeasurable noise across the entire frequency range
- Two MDC2 locks for extended functionality
- Optional MDC2 BluOS-D module adds BluOS Hi-Res multi-room music streaming and Dirac Live room correction
- Jitter-free 32-bit/384kHz ESS Saber DAC
- Ultra-low-noise MM phono stage with infrasonic filter circuitry
- Two optical and two coaxial digital inputs
- HDMI eARC input
- Two pairs of analog cinch inputs at line level
- Two pairs of speaker terminals (A and B)
- Two-way Qualcomm aptX HD Bluetooth
- Dual subwoofer outputs
- Special Headphone Amplifier
- IR remote control can be operated via IR in/out
- RS-232 serial port and 12 Volt trigger in/out
- Seamless integration with smart home control systems such as Control4, Crestron, RTI, URC, Lutron and Elan
Price and availability
The NAD C 389 HybridDigital DAC will be on the market next summer for a suggested retail price of 1,499 euros.