Nubert, a renowned name in the audio industry, has entered the portable Bluetooth speaker market with its nuGo! One. This long-anticipated addition to their lineup promises not just a standard Bluetooth speaker experience but also boasts a range of features and functionalities that set it apart. In this comprehensive review, we’ll explore what the nuGo! One brings to the table, from its design to its audio performance and unique features.
|NuGo! One Size
|7.6D x 25W x 14.1H centimetres
|Audio output mode
Aesthetics and Build
At first glance, the nuGo! One impresses with its elegant design. The fabric cover, reminiscent of Nubert’s soundbar lineup, exudes a sense of sophistication. The rotary control on the top panel, reminiscent of the nuConnect ampX, adds to the premium feel. However, the glossy surface on top, while enhancing the device’s overall appearance, tends to attract fingerprints. Nevertheless, it’s clear that Nubert has put thought into creating an aesthetically pleasing and solid product.
The dimensions of the speaker (14 x 25 x 7.6 cm) make it compact and easy to place in your living space. It features a USB-C port at the back, neatly protected by a rubber cap. Currently, the nuGo! One is available in a dark gray color scheme, but rumors suggest that other color options may be on the horizon.
One of the standout features is the well-implemented color display, which is both visually appealing and highly readable. This is a welcome addition, considering that not all products in this price range offer such a quality display.
When it comes to evaluating a speaker, two crucial aspects that immediately catch our attention are its design and build quality. In the case of the Nubert nuGo! One, these elements have been carefully considered and executed, making it a standout device in the portable Bluetooth speaker category.
Nubert has a reputation for producing sleek and stylish audio equipment, and the nuGo! One is no exception. Let’s delve into some key design features:
- Fabric Cover: The fabric covering of the nuGo! One is a defining visual feature. It exudes a sense of sophistication and elegance, a design choice that aligns with Nubert’s established brand identity. The fabric not only adds to the aesthetics but also serves a functional purpose, as it allows sound to pass through while protecting the speaker’s internals.
- Rotary Control: The rotary control on the top panel is not just a functional component but also a design element. Its resemblance to the control found on the nuConnect ampX is a nod to Nubert’s design continuity across its product lineup. This control adds a tactile and visually pleasing aspect to the speaker’s design.
- Glossy Surface: The top panel of the speaker features a high-gloss surface. This glossy finish not only enhances the overall look of the device but also adds a touch of sophistication. However, it’s worth noting that glossy surfaces can be prone to fingerprint smudges, requiring occasional cleaning to maintain the pristine appearance.
- Compact Proportions: The nuGo! One boasts dimensions of 14 x 25 x 7.6 cm (HxWxD), making it a compact and unobtrusive addition to your living space. These proportions allow it to be easily placed on a shelf, countertop, or even carried outdoors for on-the-go entertainment.
The build quality of the nuGo! One is a testament to Nubert’s commitment to producing robust and durable audio equipment. Here’s a closer look at the build quality:
- Material Choices: Nubert has chosen materials that not only look and feel premium but also ensure the durability of the speaker. The fabric covering not only contributes to aesthetics but also protects the internal components from dust and damage.
- USB-C Port: The presence of a USB-C connection port on the back of the speaker is a practical addition. It’s not only functional but also showcases attention to detail. The rubber cap covering this port adds to the device’s overall durability by protecting it from environmental factors.
- IPX5 Certification: The nuGo! One’s IPX5 certification is a notable feature for a portable speaker. This certification ensures that the speaker is resistant to water jets, making it suitable for outdoor use even in unpredictable weather conditions. This robust design choice enhances its longevity and usability.
- Battery Compartment: While the nuGo! One features a built-in rechargeable battery, the option for Nubert’s service to replace the battery, albeit not by the user, is indicative of the brand’s commitment to extending the device’s lifespan.
In summary, the Nubert nuGo! One showcases a well-thought-out design that combines aesthetics with functionality. Its premium fabric cover, glossy top panel, and tactile rotary control contribute to its visual appeal, while its durable build materials and IPX5 certification ensure longevity and resilience. Nubert has succeeded in creating a speaker that not only sounds great but also looks and feels like a high-quality audio product.
Functionality and Connectivity
Unlike many modern smart speakers, the nuGo! One takes a different approach by forgoing network connectivity options like AirPlay and Chromecast. Instead, it focuses on optimizing the reception quality for FM and DAB radio, an area often overlooked in portable radios. Nubert’s decision to prioritize reception strength is commendable, ensuring that the speaker performs exceptionally well, even indoors, where other portable radios typically struggle.
The speaker is also IPX5 certified, making it resilient against rain showers, a handy feature for outdoor use. Its 10,000 mAh battery provides up to 24 hours of playback, ensuring extended use without frequent charging. Moreover, Nubert offers the possibility of battery replacement through their service, although user replacement is not supported.
Here are some key technical details of the Nubert nuGo! One:
- Frequency Range: 55 Hz – 22,000 Hz
- Continuous Power Output: 20 W
- Peak Power Output: 36 W
- Inputs: Jack, digital optical, power plug
- Bluetooth: Yes, with aptX Low Latency, AAC, SBC support
- Radio: UK, DAB+
- Drivers: 2x 66mm Wideband Drivers (Stereo)
User Experience and Sound Quality
The control interface of the nuGo! One centers around the large rotary control, serving as both a volume knob and a menu navigation tool. The device powers on with a satisfying haptic feedback and provides access to the main menu within seconds. Initial setup is straightforward, with an intuitive menu system that is easy to learn.
The speaker supports various playback sources, including Bluetooth, DAB, and wired connections. Bluetooth pairing is seamless, although it lacks track skipping functionality from the speaker itself. DAB setup involves a station search, a quick process with clear on-screen instructions. A minor quibble is the absence of a remote control, which would have been a handy addition for users who prefer to control the speaker from a distance.
In terms of sound performance, the nuGo! One offers a balanced and well-tuned audio experience. While it doesn’t deliver thunderous bass, it provides a solid foundation and clear mids and highs. The speaker handles detailed tracks with finesse, making it suitable for a range of music genres. Its DAB+ support ensures excellent radio reception and complements the speaker’s versatility.
In-Depth Sound Test and Analysis of the Nubert nuGo! One’s Sound Quality
Sound quality is arguably the most critical aspect of any audio device, and the Nubert nuGo! One aims to deliver an impressive audio experience despite its portable size. In this comprehensive sound test and analysis, we’ll explore how this Bluetooth speaker performs across various genres, assess its strengths and limitations, and provide insights into its audio performance.
Balanced and Well-Tuned Audio:
The Nubert nuGo! One distinguishes itself with its balanced and well-tuned audio signature. While it doesn’t prioritize booming bass or piercing trebles, it strives for a harmonious blend of frequencies that cater to a wide range of music genres and audio content.
One of the first areas to assess is the bass performance. The nuGo! One, given its compact size, doesn’t deliver earth-shaking bass, nor does it aim to. Instead, it offers a controlled and modest bass response. This approach ensures that bass frequencies are present and add depth to music without overwhelming the overall audio profile.
For genres like acoustic, classical, and jazz, where precise and natural bass is essential, the nuGo! One performs admirably. It provides just enough bass presence to enhance the listening experience without overshadowing other elements.
Mids and Highs:
Moving to the midrange and high frequencies, the nuGo! One maintains a clear and detailed sound. Vocals and instruments are well-defined and remain prominent in the mix. This clarity is especially advantageous for genres like pop, rock, and vocal-centric music, as it allows listeners to appreciate the subtleties and nuances in the music.
The high-frequency performance ensures that cymbals, strings, and other high-pitched instruments are articulate and crisp without being harsh or fatiguing to the ears.
Detail and Separation:
One noteworthy aspect of the nuGo! One’s sound quality is its ability to deliver detail and separation. Even in tracks with intricate instrumentation, the speaker manages to keep individual elements distinct, allowing listeners to pick up on subtle nuances. This is particularly evident in genres like classical, where intricate compositions benefit from precise separation.
Soundstage and Imaging:
While portable speakers inherently have limitations when it comes to soundstage, the nuGo! One offers a reasonably wide soundstage for its size. It provides a sense of spaciousness that enhances the listening experience, making it suitable for various audio content, including movies and games.
The imaging, or the ability to locate the position of instruments and vocals in the audio space, is commendable. This feature adds depth and immersion to audio content.
Volume and Distortion:
The nuGo! One offers ample volume for personal and small-group listening scenarios. It can fill a room with sound without noticeable distortion, thanks to its well-tuned audio profile. However, at maximum volume, some distortion may become apparent, particularly in bass-heavy tracks.
DAB+ Radio Performance:
The nuGo! One’s support for DAB+ radio enhances its versatility. The digital audio broadcasting provides clear and interference-free radio reception. The speaker excels in reproducing radio broadcasts, making it an excellent choice for those who enjoy listening to live broadcasts, talk shows, or music radio.
The Bluetooth connectivity, with support for aptX Low Latency, AAC, and SBC codecs, ensures a reliable and high-quality wireless connection. This feature is crucial for maintaining audio fidelity when streaming music from compatible devices.
While the nuGo! One doesn’t offer extensive sound adjustment options like a graphic equalizer, its default audio profile is well-calibrated for most listening scenarios. Users looking for a straightforward and hassle-free listening experience will appreciate the speaker’s sound signature.
In conclusion, the Nubert nuGo! One’s sound quality impresses with its balanced and versatile audio performance. It strikes a harmonious balance between bass, mids, and highs, making it suitable for a wide range of musical genres and audio content. While it may not provide thunderous bass, it compensates with clarity, detail, and precise soundstage. Whether you’re enjoying your favorite music, tuning in to radio broadcasts, or watching movies, the nuGo! One delivers a compelling audio experience that aligns with Nubert’s reputation for quality audio products.
Nubert’s entry into the Bluetooth speaker market with the nuGo! One is a resounding success. It stands out not only for its audio performance but also for its versatility and thoughtful design. While it may not be a “party bomber” with earth-shaking bass, it impresses with its mature sound and wide-ranging capabilities.
Priced at around 249 euros (at launch), it falls in line with competitors in terms of cost but offers unique features like alarm clock functionality, radio capabilities, and impeccable reception quality. In a market crowded with standard Bluetooth speakers, the nuGo! One distinguishes itself as a well-rounded and highly recommended choice for those seeking a multifunctional audio companion.
Pros and Cons
- Balanced Sound Quality: The nuGo! One offers a well-balanced sound profile with clear mids and highs, making it suitable for various music genres and audio content.
- DAB+ Radio Support: The inclusion of DAB+ radio support ensures high-quality, interference-free radio reception, expanding its functionality beyond a standard Bluetooth speaker.
- Compact and Stylish Design: Its compact dimensions and fabric-covered exterior make it a visually appealing addition to your living space, while the rotary control adds a touch of sophistication.
- IPX5 Water Resistance: The IPX5 certification provides water resistance, allowing you to use the speaker outdoors without worrying about rain or splashes.
- Versatility: The nuGo! One’s versatility shines through its multifunctional capabilities, including acting as a radio alarm clock, making it a practical and adaptable audio device.
- Limited Bass: Due to its compact size, the nuGo! One offers controlled but modest bass performance. Audiophiles seeking deep, booming bass may find it lacking in this aspect.
- Maximum Volume Distortion: At maximum volume, some distortion may become noticeable, particularly in bass-heavy tracks, which can impact the overall listening experience.
- No Remote Control: The absence of a remote control can be a minor inconvenience for users who prefer controlling the speaker from a distance, especially when using it as a radio alarm clock.
- Glossy Surface Attracts Fingerprints: The high-gloss surface on the top panel, while visually appealing, tends to collect fingerprints and may require frequent cleaning to maintain its pristine look.
- Lacks Advanced Sound Adjustments: While the default audio profile is well-tuned for most scenarios, users seeking extensive sound customization options, such as a graphic equalizer, may find the nuGo! One’s sound adjustments limited.
These positive and negative aspects provide a comprehensive overview of the nuGo! One’s capabilities and potential limitations, helping potential buyers make an informed decision based on their preferences and priorities.